The Houses Of Parliament (London, UK)
In the Palace of Westminster, one of the most famous buildings in the world, houses the British Parliament: the house of lords and house of Commons. The first Palace was built for king Edward – Confessor, came to the throne in 1042. Forty-five years later to William Rufus, son of William – Confessor built Westminster hall – the most elegant room in Europe, where in 1099 was a feast. In the 13th century Henry the 3rd was attached to the painted chamber, and during his reign was convened in the first Parliament (from the French verb “parler” – to speak).
Most closed legislative chambers in the world – the houses of Parliament in Westminster in London is open to visitors only a few weeks a year. This season enjoy the informative semideterminate the tour until October 5. She runs daily not only in English but also in French, German, Italian and Spanish. Also in the oldest part of the historical building of Westminster hall until November 8 you can see an exhibition dedicated to the historic “gunpowder plot” of 1605. 400 years ago an unsuccessful attempt of the conspirators led by guy Fawkes to blow up king and Parliament.In addition to the house of lords and House of Commons have the opportunity to visit the Queen’s chamber, Royal gallery, St Stephen’s hall and in many other places with ornate Victoriano-gotteskrieger, paintings and frescoes, depicting kings, Queens and great moments in British history. At the end of the tour you can see the exhibition, buy Souvenirs, and to go to cafe Jubilee (Jubilee Cafe).House of Parliament, known as the Palace of Westminster. This name exists since XI century, was built by king Kanuta.
Tower with a height of 97 m, which are the chimes of the Palace, rises above the East-side of the architectural complex known as the houses of Parliament, although perhaps it would be correct to call it the Palace of Westminster. The chimes of big Ben are very prominent all over the world (actually, this name belongs exclusively to the bell). This was named after the portly Sir Benjamin Hall, who followed up the progress of works of works on installation of these chimes in 1858. If the light comes on over hours, this means that the House of Commons meets at night and if the Victoria Tower national flag blows, it means that the House of Commons meets this afternoon. The Parliament building was the headquarters of the government in the first half of XI century, but, in fact, until 1547 the building was not the permanent seat of the Government. The present building, a neo-Gothic style, belong to 1850, and are the works of Charles Barry and Augustus of Pugin.
They erected on the site of the original structure, which was almost completely destroyed in the night of 16 October 1834 a fire broke out. The crypt and courtyards of the chapel of Saint Stefania built in the Middle ages, were not on fire, and were enabled, a talented solution, in the complex of the new building together with Westminster Hall, which, for 600 years, was occupied by the Palace of Justice. This huge salon with its wooden ceiling, the arch of which reaches 20 m, was established in its original form by William Rufus in 1097, and then he was restored in 1398. He was a witness of great historical events, beginning with the celebration of the coronation and ending with litigation related to treason. Here was sentenced to death by Sir Thomas more, Charles I, William Wales, guy Fawkes, the Earl of Essex, and many other representatives of society. In 1605 the famous conspiracy, known to Gunpowder (Gunpowder plot) had failed, and Parliament was not blown up. However, in 1941, the bombing of the enemy led to major destruction of the House of Commons. Most of the wood required for the reconstruction of the House of Commons, was donated by the country – members of the Community. A new chamber was opened in 1950.